I {heart} Cranberry Scones



I have a dream. I wake up on Sunday morning to the smell of a perfect latte and homemade scones waiting for me. With two little ones and a busy life, like all of you, this will remain a dream I'm sure.

So I bake myself scones almost every Sunday. They are one of my favorite baked items and I love making them. This weekend, my daughter and I made Heart scones with cranberries and they didn't last long.

I am a scone snob. I am the first to admit. The recipe I use is a variation from a Scottish recipe that I love. It is mostly butter, cream, and a little bit of the rest. I'm a purist. No vegetable oil or funky flavors. I stick close to the original. The furthest I stray is a maple scone recipe from Ina Garten, that is quite heavenly.

Bake up a batch and enjoy the results. Quick and easy to make, this is a great one for the kids. Have them mix the ingredients or invite them to cut out the shapes. Mini scones work really well and are a perfect size for the little ones.

Kimberley's Kitchen ~ Scone Recipe

*preheat oven to 400 degrees
*in a medium bowl, mix 2 cups flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. (you may sub 1/2 cup whole wheat flour for all purpose flour for a nice, nutty taste and more whole wheat)
*cut in 1 stick cold, unsalted butter until a course crumb
*dig a well, pour in 1 beaten egg and 1/2 cup cream (can sub milk)
*mix until combined, don't overmix
*turn onto lightly floured surface and pat into 1 inch thick round
*slice in wedges or cut shapes (re-roll scraps to use remaining dough)
*place on parchment or silpat lined cookie sheet
*brush tops with cream and sprinkle with organic sugar, if desired
*bake 15-18 minutes
*cool on wire rack
Enjoy! With lots of butter!

~Kimberley

Comments

Popular Posts