Helping Hands~




I believe in community- the idea that people come together to make something happen. Sometimes this is in the form of social change, sometimes it is as simple as baking cookies. Whatever the form, my community came together to help me make it possible for Kimberley's Kitchen to attend our local Christmas market for artisans- Winter Gold.


Last year, our first Christmas here, many friends recommended that I attend as a vendor. It was too late to make it happen but I was sure to apply for the event this year. However, after my car accident, I realized I wouldn't be able to make anything and told my husband I would cancel my attendance. He knew that I would be so disappointed and also knew that having something creative would actually help me stay positive during a stressful time.


My husband, neighbours, and family came together to pull it all off. I really didn't do anything (nor could I). My neighbours baked for hours, stayed up until 3 am packing marshmallows whipped up by my husband and ensured my table was "staffed" for the 2-day market.


Market attendance was the highest it has been in 5 years. We definitely didn't make enough product (and had no way of really knowing how much to make). Kimberley's Kitchen sold out 2 hours before the end of the last day, much to the disappointment of people walking in for the marshmallows on snowflake picks!



My Original Marshmallow Sliders (think pre-made s'mores) were a big hit! They sold out very quickly. My other top sellers were these beautiful picks (made by my friend Chrissie of Party Paper Scissors) with Vanilla Bean Marshmallow Mitts. The kits were popular for gifts for teachers and hostesses- S'mores for Four, S'mores for Two, Fondue for Two (with these pretty Bon Appetit wooden forks for dipping from Garnish). And of course my Hot Chocolate kit with premuim hot chocolate mix in an upcycled jar and marshmallow stirrers were picked up quickly for gifts too.



Packaging and merchandising is my second favorite creative part of my business, next to creating new flavors and recipes. I was so happy to receive so many compliments on my packaging and presentation. The little red felt bags with a kit of S'mores for Two sold out quickly.



Top marshmallow flavors were my Marshmallow Bites in Vanilla Bean, Gingerbread, and Peppermint. The Espresso Crunch made with local Chicken Creek Coffee and the Pomegranate (a perennial favorite) were enjoyed as well. And my Vanilla Bean Snowflake marshmallows (perfect for floating in hot chocolate) make a perfect stocking stuffer.


 
I am so grateful for all the helping hands that made it all possible. I am still recovering from my accident and on limited duties. My husband (who worked as a cook for over 10 years) has stepped up and helped out. For now, I am recovering at home and enjoying some home baking with my girls. What are you baking for Christmas?

Comments

  1. Beautiful story of community and family, blessings on your husband! I'm glad the market was a success. Take care of yourself - rest and recuperate - it will take some time.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts