15 Minute Soup





Is there anything more comforting than soup? I think we can all agree that homemade soup is perfect for this time of year. As the days get shorter and the air is cooler, soup is a regular feature on our family's menu. 

I love slow cooking and soup is an easy slow meal. But there are times when we need a healthy meal, made quickly, with little effort. Reheating or repurposing leftovers is a strategy for quick meals around here, but I have a few menu items that I can whip up in 15 minutes that I rely on when we are short on time. 

This soup is easy. Anyone can make it and you can make it with a huge assortment of variations to please your taste. I am including some variations with the recipe but be creative because once you have added this to your repertoire, you will love making soup.


I took a few snapshots last night as we were losing the light so that I could illustrate the simplicity of this recipe. I call it the 1-2-3 Method. I use a few variations of this method with soups, pastas, and stir-fries for easy, fast mid-week meals. I will share my pasta 1-2-3 Method in a future post!

1-2-3 Method

For soup, the 1-2-3 Method is 1 onion, 2 celery stalks, and 3 carrots. Of course, you can stray from this and use what you have on hand. But this is an excellent rule of thumb for flavour and for serving 4 + meals from this pot of soup (we made 4 dinners, 2 kids' lunches, and 2 adult lunches with this batch).

Recipe

In a large pot, heat 1 Tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat.
Add, 1 chopped onion, 2 chopped celery stalks, and 3 diced carrots.
Stir and cook for 5 minutes.

Add your variations- I used chickpeas and fresh herbs in this batch. 
Stir and cook for another minute or so.

Add approximately 7-8 cups of stock- I used homemade chicken stock in this batch but feel free to use vegetable stock or store-bought stock for ease. 

Bring to a boil. 
Season to taste with salt. 

Serve or cool and store in the fridge for 3 days or the freezer for 3 months.

Variations
Cooked, diced chicken and fresh herbs
Cooked/canned beans and kale
Barley and cooked beef
Diced potato and chopped roasted garlic

-Kimberley

Comments

Popular Posts